Thursday, November 12, 2015

Mugwort 艾草 moxibustion or moxa




Moxibustion is a form of heat therapy.

Dried herbs, like a giant cigar  are lit.

I had a sore leg, and the practitioner burn a

stick and went round my leg.


In the book, a self trained Chinese doctor used moxibustion 

to treat her patients including Japanese soldiers.


艾草 in Mandarin. mugwort growing really nicely even in winter
used in the practice of traditional Chinese medicine in a pulverized and aged form called moxa

艾草(学名:Artemisia argyi  

 This is the Artemisia argyi which I used. Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris in my own dialect Ngai, or àicǎo (艾草 zh:艾草) in Mandarin. I took this to my adult ESOL class,

I talked about Tu Youyou (Chinese: 屠呦呦; who found a cure for Malaria using the herb qinghao (Artemisia annua, sweet wormwood). The two plants look so alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment